The General Manager is responsible for providing oversight of the Convenient Store Operations conducted at Taos Pueblo Hail Creek Travel Plaza and specifically to provide overall planning and management of profit centers and various support functions to maximize department productivity and profitability and to meet the growth objectives of Taos Pueblo via the Hail Creek Travel Plaza.
• Responsible for overall operation of the Convenient Store and supervision of all mid-level management and their subordinates.
• Assume responsibility for profits and losses of all areas of the Convenient Store, procedures to achieve profit and volume objectives.
• Formulate and establish a budget to be approved by the Taos Pueblo Tribal Council.
• Develop, execute and revise as needed operational policies and procedures to achieve profit and volume objectives.
• Responsible for inventory control, pricing and placement strategy.
• Be responsible for employee development and the staffing of all departments with qualified, well-trained personnel.
• Lead mid-level management in the identification of operational problems and put into place policies and procedures to solve such problems.
• Supervise the coordination and development of statistical data such as inventory trends analyses.
• Network assigned departments with other Convenient Store functions, e.g. Operations, Marketing, Human Resources and Finance.
• Coordinate and assist in the short-term and long-term planning process with the Taos Pueblo Tribal Administration.
• Work with Surveillance and Security departments to ensure guest and employee safety and protection.
• Responsible for any other duties as assigned by the Business Development Board.
• Must attend and satisfactorily complete all training as directed by supervisor or the Human Resources Department.
• Hold subordinates accountable for attending and satisfactorily completing all required training as directed by supervisor or the Human Resources Department.
• Create and maintain a safe working environment for all employees as well as our customers.
• Must be proficient in reading, understanding and speaking the English Language
• Receives inventory that has been ordered.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Integrity / Honesty
All Taos Pueblo Convenient Store employees must operate in an ethical manner by following all Taos Pueblo Convenient Store policies and procedures relating to cash transactions, handling, tracking, and proper behavior between staff and customers. Incumbent must conduct oneself above the appearance of doing something wrong.
• Customer Service / Client Orientation
All Taos Pueblo Convenient Store employees must be able to develop a clear understanding of customers’ needs and goals while maintaining clear communication with customer regarding meeting their expectations. Must follow though and respond to customers’ requests and inform them of action taken in a courteous, professional manner.
All Taos Pueblo Convenient Store employees must be competent in working effectively with division members and members of other divisions to resolve common issues or problems as well as listening and seeking others’ perspective on how to complete assignments. Keep others informed and up-to-date about tasks, progress, or projects.
• Team Leadership
Incumbents in this job must effectively manage and guide group efforts by providing an appropriate level of feedback to both individuals and groups regarding their performance and progress
• Goal and Task Management
Incumbents in this job need to be able to plan, prioritize, set goals, establish standards, coordinate tasks, show concern for deadlines, and track progress with respect to company performance.
• Manage Resources
Incumbent in this position have to appropriately allocate a variety of resources that may include, materials, money, facilities, and equipment. Requires the ability to assess needs and track progress.
Incumbent in this position must be able to successfully determine and initiate a course of action. Incumbent must require the consideration of multiple options, information sources, and development of contingency plans.
Incumbent in this position must have the ability to gain an understanding of where an organization is headed in light of internal and external trends and influences.
• Interpersonal Skills (Working with Others)
Incumbents in this position must be able to communicate one's feelings, preferences, needs, and opinions in a way that is neither threatening nor punishing to another person, while at the same time recognizing effort of others and praising that effort.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements/qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Minimum four (4) year college degree preferred: plus 5 years executive management experience in the administration and operations of a retail establishment preferably a Convenient Store setting; or a combination of education and experience in the administration and operations of the Retail industry.
• Extensive knowledge working with Tribal communities.
• Knowledge of computer software as it relates to inventory and inventory controls.
• Thorough knowledge of protection of assets as they relate to inventory and personnel.
• Maintain continuing education in the Convenient Store industry through seminars, conferences, and trade shows.
• Possess a sensitivity to Indian culture
• Must be willing to advice and effectively communicate with the Taos Pueblo Tribal Government on Convenient store operations.
• Must be able to interact well with public.
• Must be able to hire, provide direction to and develop internal personnel; identify strategic issues and develop short/long-range plans; provide direction to and manage department heads and related personnel; budget and prioritize work load; identify key factors affecting personnel; and develop effective programs to maximize performance.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must have a valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required the following:
• Required to stand;
• Use finger, hand, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell.
• The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations;
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals;
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Manages Convenient Store Employees.
• The General Manager is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units.
• The General Manager also carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
• Interviewing, hiring, and training employees;
• Planning, assigning, and directing work;
• Scheduling, rewarding and disciplining employees;
• Addressing complaints and resolving problems;
• And report writing.