DEPARTMENT: HAIL CREEK TRAVEL CENTER
SUPERVISOR: BUSINESS ENTITIES CONTROLLER/CFO
The Accounting Specialist is responsible for working with the Finance Clerk to maintain financial operations for Hail Creek Travel Center.
- Responsible for learning the overall operation of the accounting department functions.
- Responsible for bank and reconciliations.
- Maintain an accurate reconciliation of all employee benefit billings and payroll deductions.
- Reconcile and maintain general ledger accounts.
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Business Entities Controller/CFO as assigned.
- Maintain all accounting files in compliance with record retention guidelines in a simple auditable form including W-4 and W-9 maintenance.
- Assists the General Manager with the formulation and establishment of the budget to be approved by the Business Board
- Collaborate with the team members to provide necessary financial reports to the Business Entities Controller and the Board
- Prepares the close of books, manages and prepares monthly journal entries.
- Reviews and approves all aspects of accounts payable.
- Works closely with the Finance Clerk to assist with payroll functions, daily close, accounts payable/inventory and POS discrepancies,
- Works with the General Manager and provide solutions for accounting irregularities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Integrity / Honesty
Incumbent must operate in an ethical manner by following all employers’ policies and procedures relating to cash transactions, handling, tracking, and proper behavior between staff and customers. Incumbent must conduct oneself above the appearance of doing something wrong.
- Customer Service / Client Orientation
Incumbent must be able to develop a clear understanding of customers’ needs and goals while maintaining clear communication with customer regarding meeting their expectations. Must follow though and respond to customers’ requests and inform them of action taken in a courteous, professional manner.
Incumbent must be competent in working effectively with division members and members of other divisions to resolve common issues or problems as well as listening and seeking others’ perspective on how to complete assignments. Keeps others informed and up-to-date about tasks, progress, or projects.
- Team Leadership
Incumbents in this job must effectively manage and guide group efforts by providing an appropriate level of feedback to both individuals and groups regarding their performance and progress.
- Goal and Task Management
Incumbents in this job need to be able to plan, prioritize, set goals, establish standards, coordinate tasks, show concern for deadlines, and track progress with respect to company performance.
Incumbent must be able to successfully determine and initiate a course of action. Incumbent must require the consideration of multiple options, information sources, and development of contingency plans.
Incumbent must have the ability to gain an understanding of where an organization is headed in light of internal and external trends and influences.
- Interpersonal Skills (Working with Others)
Incumbent must be able to communicate one’s feelings, preferences, needs, and opinions in a way that is neither threatening nor punishing to another person, while at the same time recognizing effort of others and praising that effort.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements/qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform.
- Minimum four (4) year college degree preferred: preferably in Business Administration and or Finance plus 5 years executive management experience in the administration and operations of a retail establishment preferably a Travel Center setting; or a combination of education and experience in the administration and operations of the Retail industry.
- Knowledge of standard accounting principles, methods and applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate compliance information, policies and/or accounting applications.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Spreadsheet and Word Processing software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, comparisons, impacts and /or projections.
- Must be willing to advice and effectively communicate with the Taos Pueblo Government and Board of Directors on Travel Center operations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION:
- Must have a valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
The physical demands describe here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required the following:
- Required to stand;
- Use finger, hand, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell;
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance, vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
- May work in extremely cold environment as well as extremely warm environment.
Work is performed in the Travel Center setting with exposure to noises and prolonged standing and walking. Shift work schedule and extended working hours, Holidays and weekends may all be required.